Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Paris..

Friday, January 21, 2011

Paris is exhausting! I feel like an 85 year old man. Oh, and I also feel like a five year old because I realize that I have spelled half of the places we have visited wrong, (Arc, not Arch.) So, I apologize for pretending this is something educational, when in essence it has been less than an episode of ‘Reading Rainbow.’
We started today with that very same Arc. Another thing I realized is I am not as in good of shape as I thought I was, after what seemed like a spiral staircase which would take me all the way to heaven, but instead only 50 meters up, I was winded!! However, the climb to Mount Sinai was worth it. I have never seen such beautiful scenery of mans creations in my life. The rays of light that protrude from every angle of the Arc that lead to almost each amazing site of Paris were, and still are indescribable.  Even with a somewhat foggy skyline, I could see all the way to Montmarte with the sun beaming on its Templar Church walls, so much history, and far more majestic than I ever imagined. The always burning flame under the Arc signals as a beacon for all warriors of France (not a pun) to find their way back home.  
After, we headed over to the Eiffel Tower expecting our Paris Pass purchase ($250 each) to cover a ride up to the top of the tower, but somehow I guess it didn’t. So instead of allowing all the vendors to sit and hassle us to try and buy those trinkets again, we thought it best to go to the Museum d’ Orsay. The Museum is a converted Rail station but that does not do it justice. Try the rail station of a conductors dream. Every square inch of its design is thought out fully and absolutely amazed me. Artists such as Monet, Manet (don’t mix them up),Degas, Renoir, Van Gough, Gauguin, Courbet, Carpeaux, Rodin all have great pieces here, and made me wish I took Art history in College. Everything there was breathtaking, but let me tell you, it taxes you. I have never been so exhausted in my life. Forget everything you know, art gazing is a workout like you have never had. After I almost fell over in the Art Nuveau section, we got through the rest and hopped back on the Metro (unlimited during our pass days) and headed back to the hotel.
 Something I haven’t brought up yet but should have is that it is impossible to get anything over a quarter pound of beef, or close to over a liter of milk at any one time at a market, but I can buy enough bread to build a house. The first few days it did seem a little inconvenient, but it is something I am learning to really appreciate about this culture and learning how much I don’t like it about my own. To be honest food shopping here is just as easy to get as it is in the states, but you just need to go about it in a different way,(multiple stores) and honestly by the lack of obesity we witness here every day, it is something that we as well as others should learn to like because our culture is not in the best shape in that area.
Speaking of inconvenient, our hotel we are staying at, The Royal Regency, has been excellent with their service, and the French in general are hugely misconstrued with their attitudes. These are some of the nicest, most cordial people I have ever met, except for this one guy who works the front desk here sometimes. He is a tall slender man probably about the same age as myself, has thick glasses, a bad comb over, and has a constant look and arrogance about him that just needs to not be there.
We right now are paying for internet by the day here, and today when we got back their modem was down, so we are not able to get on the net technically, but by the time you read this, it will be a different story. So, Christy called down to ask them about it and he said that it was down and it would be back up soon, well hours later it was not, and by the time it was up again our allotted time had expired. During Christy’s phone call the man had said he would do something about it, so I called back to let him know our situation and he told me the internet was never down and I should just buy more time. So after sharing with him that he was telling two different stories I thought it best he reimburse us for the day. ‘Comb over Frenchy’ agreed said he would give me a free 24 hour pass, and even called me back to make sure I was going to come get it. So I got dressed and strolled down to the front desk to get my free pass, and when I got down there he told me that he was actually out, and would SELL me a 7 day pass.. Are you kidding?!! So, I decided to wait and talk to the manager tomorrow, who has been the best, and helped with everything.
So beyond that everything is still going fantastic and we have 8 more days left here to enjoy all we can, so that means more staircases, more art marathons, and probably more of ‘comb over Frenchy’.. I’ll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment